St Andrew’s Buckland was originally a Saxon church and mentioned in the Domesday Book. In the late 12th century work began on rebuilding the church. The oldest parts are massive pillars with carved capitals and pointed Early English arches in the nave and chancel. Early in the 14th century the sanctuary and the Chapel of St Thomas were added. The small church remained untouched until the middle of the 19th century.In 1851 the church was deemed too small for the growing parish and the south aisle was extended the full length of the nave. In 1880 the nave was doubled in length and a new belfry added to the west end.In order for the church to be extended the old yew tree in the churchyard, reputed to be 1,000 years old, had to be moved. In spring 1880 the old tree had its roots excavated and boxed in and was then slid along timber rails some 60 feet to the west. In spite of fears that the move might have fatal consequences the tree is still going strong over 130 years later. A plaque on the fence around the tree states:This ancient tree is estimated to be 1,000 years old. It stood 60 feet to the east until 1880 when it was transplanted to allow the church to be extended. A deep trench was dug round the roots, which were supported on timber baulks, rollers placed beneath and the tree weighing some 56 tons was moved to the present site.